Thursday, February 9, 2012

Homemade Pop-Tarts

After finding this recipe on the blog of Such Pretty Things, I had to repost!  I LOVE this and can't wait to give it a try!!
http://suchprettythings.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/08/homemade-pop-tarts.html

Homemade Pop-tarts

Poptarts_8
School starts up again next week, so we are enjoying these last days of summer vacation.  Mini-me is off on a little trip with her grandparents, so Mini-mini-me is home with me and we are enjoying some special mommy-daughter time together. I found a recipe from King Arthur Flour for home-made Pop-tarts a while back and thought today seemed like the perfect day to try it out.
Poptarts_7
We followed the recipe pretty closely, but we just rolled out the dough and cut out a bunch of 3" x 5" rectangles.  We also substituted three different fillings (raspberry jam, chocolate chips, and Nutella), as you can really use almost anything. These were Mini-mini's favorites - the chocolate chip version...
Poptarts_10
I prefer the raspberry jam...
Poptarts_4
Oh, and if you use jam, make sure to really seal your edges tightly or it might leak out during baking and make a big, gooey mess in your oven. We also chose to ice ours with a little pastel frosting (confectioner's sugar mixed with a little milk and food coloring).
Poptarts_1
....and some pretty sprinkles!
Poptarts_5
Mini-mini and I are very proud of how our "pop-tarts" turned out. They were really delicious and quite easy to make (you could even use store-bought pie dough in a pinch). I think they would make the perfect "back-to-school" treat, don't you?
Poptarts_6

No comments:

Post a Comment